No one wants to find out their roof is leaking, but it’s a real problem for thousands of people in North Carolina every year. Water damage can quickly become very serious, especially if it’s left untreated. It can cause structural damage to your home, like rotting in the attic or wet drywall. Even possessions within the house can be affected if the leak is large enough.
Once you’ve discovered your leak, the first step is to decide whether to repair it or replace the entire roof. For some the decision is easy, but there are several things to take into account when making up your mind. Local Apex Roofers can offer insight into this question.
The Roof Dilemma: Repair or Replace?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to a roof leak repair in Apex, NC. However, there are some guidelines to follow that may make it a bit easier to make up your mind.
The first thing to consider is the age of your roof. Most shingle roofs are only designed to with-stand 10-20 years of use, although some of the highest quality modern selections can go as long as 50. Unless your home is new, there’s a good chance it’s time to replace the shingles anyway. In this case, you would most likely be better off paying the difference up front and switching out the whole roof at one time.
Newer homes tend to only require repairs, since their shingles are probably in the beginning or middle of their lifespan, but sometimes damage can shorten their lifespan. Even if your roof is 5 years away from needing a replacement, it may be better to save up for higher quality shingles down the road. If the damaged area is small and the rest of the roof is in good shape, it’s a good idea to consider repairing only. This isn’t always the case, however.
Even brand new houses can leak if the roofing was improperly installed. For example, shingles that aren’t attached correctly can fly off during winds or storms. If you see loose shingles on the ground around your home or observe them flapping in the wind, it’s a good sign you may need total roof replacement. The age of your home is a good guideline, but it is not foolproof.
If you’re not sure which option would be best for your situation, you don’t have to decide alone. Our roofing experts can examine the condition of your roof and help you make an informed decision. We’ll never try to sell you services you don’t need, because your respect and satisfaction is more important than making money.
The Most Common Causes of Roof Leakage
The best way to save money on roof damage is prevention. It’s equally important, however, to know what conditions can cause leakage so you can be prepared. If you learn the top causes of leaking roofs, you’re more likely to catch the problem early and potentially save a lot of damage. The usual culprits are:
- Hail. Local Apex roofers don’t see as much hail as some places, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a threat. These chunks of ice can pull off shingles, crack tiles, and more. You should always look for loose pieces on the ground after hail.
- Cracked flashing. It’s hard to spot cracked flashing, but it is a common cause of problems. New homes may experience cracking as they settle.
- Loose and damaged shingles. High quality, professionally-installed shingles are usually very resistant to wind and water. The shingles from Mr. Roof, for example, are rated for 110 MPH. Not all roofs are made for such conditions, though, and shingle damage is a leading cause of leaks.
- Damaged vent booting. This rubber lining joins your vents and roof to keep out water. Over time, the material can deteriorate and allow moisture through. It’s hard to see this booting, but a professional can spot the problems quickly.
- Ice. There’s not much ice in Apex, but when it does happen, it can be pretty serious for your roof. The expansion during freezing can loosen shingles and cause separation.
- Skylights. Skylights are beautiful additions – when installed properly. If they fit poorly, however, they can lead to serious leaks and drafts in your home.
- Blocked gutters. When debris fills your gutters, they can’t redirect water properly. The result could damage your roof and even your foundation.
When you need roof leak repair in Apex, NC, you need Mr. Roof. We’ve been serving customers for decades, and our experience and attention to detail ensures you’ll see the very best experience, every time.