Many American homeowners hold deep concerns about climate change. The environment has undergone extensive changes in the last few decades, many of which result from industrial expansion and other human activities. Various government agencies collect important climate change data to provide the American people with the information they need to make environmentally conscious decisions about their homes. If you wonder how climate change will impact your homeownership responsibilities, it’s vital to assess available research and work with a trusted provider when you need roof replacement or home renovations.
Climate change affects every US homeowner
All across the United States, homeowners in every region of the country are experiencing new weather patterns, more significant temperature fluctuations, and unprecedented levels of severe weather. Unfortunately, the home maintenance routine you followed just a few years ago may now be insufficient for addressing the effects climate change has had on your region of the country.
Every homeowner needs to carefully consider the effects climate change has had on their region when they consider home improvement projects like roof replacements and exterior renovations. Mr. Roof is happy to provide comprehensive and environmentally conscious guidance for any homeowner who needs a new roof or other exterior work done.
Typical climate change-related home maintenance problems in the US
If you are unsure how climate change could affect your roof maintenance routine, consider a few of the following examples of how the changing climate is impacting homeowners across the country:
- More variance in yearly temperatures can cause more frequent freeze/thaw cycles in areas of the country that typically experience harsh winter seasons. More frequent freezing, thawing, and refreezing during winter increase the risk of water intrusion through gaps in older roofs and, more likely, ice dam formation.
- High winter temperatures can put significant strain on a roofing system. For example, if your roof is holding a great deal of snow and then it rains, this significantly increases the weight stress placed on your roof and can increase the risk of roof leaks and other winter roof problems.
- More severe storms mean that more homes than ever are vulnerable to high winds, substantial rainfall, and heavy gusts of wind that can damage roof shingles and gutter systems. Severe storms also increase the risk of basement flooding in many parts of the US.
- Some parts of the US are reporting abnormally high summer temperatures and experiencing heat waves. If a home has insufficient insulation or ventilation, this makes it harder to maintain comfortable temperatures inside the home and can cause energy bills to spike.
- Climate change affects plants and wildlife in every area of the country. In addition, you may have experienced a higher density of air particulates and allergens in your area due to temperature changes, both of which place additional strain on home ventilation and air filtration systems.
There are many other examples of how climate change has impacted homeownership throughout the US. If you are concerned about the way the weather has changed in your area in the last few years, it’s vital to prepare for the future accordingly if your home requires any type of major exterior maintenance.
Improving your home’s resistance to climate change
If you want to be environmentally conscious moving forward when it comes to home maintenance, Mr. Roof can help. We can help you determine which home improvement projects are most important for your home to keep you safer and more comfortable as the climate continues to change in unpredictable ways.
Ventilation, air quality, insulation, and protection from severe weather are vital considerations for all homeowners. This is especially true for homeowners and families that suffer from seasonal allergies, respiratory conditions, and other medical complications that reduce their resistance to changing weather patterns. In addition to minimizing health risks for you and your family, it’s also vital to consider quality and durability when it comes to any home improvement projects you need to arrange.
Choose reliable roof improvement experts
When you want to ensure your home has the highest quality and most durable features and account for a changing climate, Mr. Roof can help. Our team is committed to ensuring every job we perform meets our customer’s standards to the highest possible level. We also provide environmentally conscious guidance to homeowners who are unsure about their options for roof improvements.
Whether you’re improving your home in preparation for sale or simply need to replace an outdated roof, Mr. Roof can help you make a wise choice that accounts for climate change. Our team will walk you through every phase of every job we perform for you so you can be confident about all the work we do for you. If you are ready to start upgrading your home in ways that account for the changing climate, contact Mr. Roof today and schedule a free estimate with our team.